Patient and Family Engagement
KHC launches third Kansas Patient and Family Advisory Council Collaborative
In recent years, hospitals across the nation have made substantial progress in incorporating patient and family engagement (PFE) as part of their organizational safety culture and structure to attain higher levels of patient satisfaction and outcomes. Still, many hospitals are uncertain about how to envision the role of PFE in safety and quality improvement design and, in particular, seek support in navigating the process of establishing a Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC).
KHC will conduct its third breakthrough collaborative with national expertise, a roadmap and support designed to help organizations learn about key PFE concepts and practices, and to take steps to establish an active PFAC and/or other quality committees where patients are represented. More than 50 Kansas hospitals have participated in cohorts one and two (2015 and 2016).
Hospital testimonials: See KHC's video of hospital participants sharing their perspectives on the Kansas PFAC Collaborative and how it has assisted their organizations.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcGFg47LxnI (2.5 min.)
HRET HIIN Patient and Family Engagement Fellowship
HRET's 2017 PFE Fellowship is designed to support and build the skills of employees who act as PFE liaisons. The fellowship also will benefit patient and family advisors (PFAs) of hospitals participating in the HRET Hospital Improvement Innovation Network (HIIN). Learning sessions will be formatted to meet the needs of experienced PFE liaisons and PFAs, as well as those newer to the work. The HRET HIIN PFE Fellowship begins February 8. For more information, visit http://www.hret-hiin.org/fellowships/pfefellowship/index.shtml
By partnering with patients, their families and other caregivers, hospitals can improve the quality and safety of health care, reduce costs, increase employee satisfaction and improve the patient experience. The Health Research & Education Trust has developed a resource compendium to help link PFE concepts and strategies to available resources. Download the compendium here.
The Kansas HEN held a PFE webinar on July 13, 2016 to review the five metrics. The recorded presentation with Tanya Lord can be accessed in the KHC educational archive. Download presentation handout (pdf).
Recorded presentation: "A primer for Patient and Family Engagement," by Cheryl Ruble, MS, RN, CNS, improvement advisor, Cynosure Health, at the Kansas Hospital Engagement Network Collaborative Meeting, December 2013. Cheryl also presented during a recorded webinar in September 23, 2015 on PFE, especially the discharge planning checklist. Download September webinar presentation handout (pdf).
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and its National Content Developer conducted a national Master Class Series during the original Hospital Engagement Network in support of hospitals' focus on patient and family engagement. Here are some specific Master Classes that relate directly to the 5 PFE metrics:
PFE Metric 2: Conducting shift change huddles and bedside reporting with patients and family members in all feasible cases.
See Master Class #3
Sample hospital videos demonstrating bedside handoffs with patients and families
PFE Metric 3: Designation of an accountable leader in the hospital who is responsible for PFE.
See webinar held 10-21-2013
PFE Metric 4: Hospital has an active Patient and Family Advisory Council or other committees where patients are represented.
See Master Class #2, and webinars held 8-19-2014 and 7-23-2012
See Kansas HEN webinar held February 2015.
See video of actual PFAC meeting (3:36 min.)
See video of UW Health Patient and Family Advisory Partnership (4:55 min.)
See video of CHI Health Patient Family Advisory Councils (5:14 min.)
PFE Metric 5: Hospital has one or more patient representatives serving on the hospital board of directors.
See Master Class #5
Selected Resources for Engaging Patients and Families as Partners in Safety:
- A Leadership Resource for Patient and Family Engagement Strategies (HRET, July 2013)
- A Roadmap for Patient and Family Engagement in Healthcare Practice and Research (Moore Foundation and AIR, 2014)
- Advancing the Practice of Patient- and Family-Centered Care in Hospitals: How to Get Started.... (IFPCC 2011)
- Children's Mercy, Kansas City: The Power of Parent Engagement Beyond Advisory Boards (7-min. video, 2014)
- Engaging Health Care Users: A Framework for Healthy Individuals and Communities (HRET, Jan 2013)
- Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation website
- Guide to Patient and Family Engagement in Hospital Quality and Safety (AHRQ 2013)
- Partnering to Improve Quality and Safety: A Framework for Working with Patient and Family Advisors (HRET 2015) [Related: PFA Framework Infographic (pdf)]
- Partnering with Patients and Families to Enhance Safety and Quality: A Mini Toolkit (IFPCC 2013)
- Partnership for Patients Strategic Vision Roadmap for Person and Family Engagement and Addendum (2016)
- Patient and family engagement: a survey of US hospital practices (BMJ Qual Saf, June 16, 2015)
- Patient & Family Leadership: Resource Compendium for Health Care, (NAM, Summer 2015)
- Strategies for Leadership: A Hospital Self-Assessment Inventory for Patient- and Family-Centered Care (AHA, 2004)
- The Current State of Patient and Family Engagement Strategies in American Hospitals (HPOE webinar, July 30, 2014)