KHC HIIN Overview
Hospital Improvement Innovation Networks to continue patient safety efforts
The Kansas Healthcare Collaborative will continue to lead hospital patient safety improvement efforts statewide on behalf of the Kansas Hospital Association as one of 32 state partners with the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) of the American Hospital Association.
Over the next two years, HRET and its partners will participate in a new round of a national program that has been successful in reducing patient harm and readmissions. In late September the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced $347 million in awards to continue patient safety efforts through the new Hospital Improvement Innovation Networks (HIINs).
The HIIN contracts will build upon the collective momentum of the Hospital Engagement Networks and Quality Improvement Organizations to reduce patient harm and readmissions. Through 2019, the HIINs will work to achieve a 20 percent decrease in overall patient harm and a 12 percent reduction in 30-day hospital readmissions from 2014 baselines.
Read the CMS news release here: CMS announces $347 million in awards to continue patient safety initiatives
Patient Safety Focus Areas
Through the KHC Hospital Improvement Innovation Network, medical professionals are pursuing ambitious new goals to help hospitals make health care safer and less costly by reducing health care-acquired conditions and preventable readmissions. See the KHC HIIN informational flier (pdf).
HIIN areas of focus include:
- Adverse Drug Events
- Clostridium difficile infection
- Injury from Falls and Immobility
- Pressure Ulcers (hospital-acquired)
- Preventable Readmissions
- Sepsis and Septic Shock
- Surgical Site Infections (SSI)
- Ventilator-Associated Events
- Venous Thromboembolism (VTE)
- Multi-drug Resistant Organisms
- Patient and Family Engagement
- Hospital Culture of Safety
- Diversity and Equity of Care
- HIINs: Continuing Forward Momentum on Reducing Patient Harm
- KHC Selected to Lead HIIN Patient Safety Initiative in Kansas
Recorded KHC kickoff webinar for the new Hospital Improvement Innovation Network, held October 26, 2016
Recorded HRET kickoff webinar for the new Hospital Improvement Innovation Network, held October 13, 2016
HIIN Data and Measures
- KHC HIIN Measures Dictionary (pdf)
- Instructions to join KHC HIIN NHSN group (pdf)
- Instructions to update KHC HIIN group (pdf)