Health Care Personnel Influenza Immunization Toolkit
In an effort to reduce the spread of influenza and to protect the health of both patients and health care providers, the Kansas Healthcare Collaborative recommends that all health care providers receive the seasonal influenza immunization.
KHC's 2015-16 statewide influenza immunization survey found that influenza immunization among health care workers continues to rise in Kansas. You can read the news release here.
See resources below comprising KHC's online Immunization of Health Care Workers Toolkit for the 2016-17 influenza vaccination season. Check back often for additional items as they become available.
ARTICLES and RECOMMENDATIONS
Note: For the 2016-17 season, CDC recommends use of the flu shot (inactivated influenza vaccine or IIV) and the recombinant influenzxa vaccine (RIV). The nasal spray flu vaccine (live attenuated vaccine or LAIV) should not be used during the 2016-2017. The 2016-2017 influenza vaccination recommendations are now available.
- MMWR: Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines
Recommendations of the ACIP -- U.S. 2016-17 Influenza Season, August 26, 2016
- ACIP votes down use of LAIV for 2016-2017 flu season, June 22, 2016
- Influenza Vaccination Information for Health Care Workers, CDC, updated September 2016
- MMWR: Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health Care Personnel -- United States, 2015-16 Influenza Season, September 30, 2016
- More healthcare workers need flu shots: CDC, September 30, 2016
- National Patient Safety Foundation Supports Mandatory Flu Vaccine for Health Care Workers, November 11, 2015
- Medscape Medical News: AAP backs mandatory vaccination for HCPs, updates recs for kids, September 7, 2015
- HealthLeaders Media: 4 Tips for Raising Vaccination Rates Among Healthcare Workers, August 24, 2015
- AMA supports tighter limitations on immunization opt outs, June 8, 2015
- IDSA, SHEA and PIDS joint policy statement on mandatory immunization of health care personnel according to the ACIP-recommended vaccine schedule, December 10, 2013
- AOHP Position Statement on Influenza Vaccination of Healthcare Workers, February 2011
- Immunization Action Coalition: Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Recommendations, March 2015
- MMWR: Immunization of health-care personnel, November 25, 2011 (see pg. 9)
- Requiring influenza vaccination for health care workers: seven truths we must accept, January 13, 2005
- OSHA Fact Sheet: Seasonal Influenza Vaccination -- Important Protection for Healthcare Workers, November, 2011
Kansas Healthcare Collaborative Webinar, June 24, 2015
Health Care Personnel Influenza Immunization: Tracking HCP influenza immunization in NHSN, hospital success story by Hays Medical Center
- Recording (67 min.)
- Presentation handout (pdf)
- NHSN Manual: Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module
- Instructions for conferring HCP influenza immunization data to KHC NHSN group (pdf)
Kansas Healthcare Collaborative Webinar, September 23, 2015
Summary results: Annual Influenza Immunization Survey of Health Care Personnel, plus other topics.
SAMPLE HOSPITAL HCP INFLUENZA IMMUNIZATION POLICIES
- Geary Community Hospital (pdf)
- Hays Medical Center (pdf)
- Labette Health (pdf)
- Sabetha Community Hospital (pdf)
- Saint Luke's Health System / Anderson County Hospital (pdf)
- Read partner success stories and learn how to submit your success story to CDC
- KHC poster: Favorable Results from Statewide Efforts to Improve Influenza Immunization of Health Care Personnel in Kansas (presented at 18th Annual NPSF Patient Safety Congress, May 23-25, 2016)
- CDC: Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Resources for Health Professionals
- CDC: What You Should Know for the 2015-2016 Influenza Season
- CDC: Updated Influenza Vaccine Information Statements (VISs) for both inactivated and live, intranasal influenza vaccines (available 8/7/2015)
- Flu.gov: Planning and Preparedness for Health Professionals
- HealthyPeople 2020: Objective IID12-13. Increase the percentage of health care personnel who are vaccinated annually against seasonal influenza, revised 2013
- HealthyPeople 2020: Interventions to promote seasonal influenza vaccination among healthcare workers, 2011
- KDHE: Long-term care facility immunization toolkit
- NHSN: Resources for NHSN Users
- TJC: Providing a safer environment for health care personnel and patients through influenza vaccination
- Sanford Health Flu Man 2 (5 min.)
For more information about the annual survey of Immunization of Hospital Health Care Personnnel and resources to support your facility's immunization campaign, contact Michele Clark, KHC program director, at or 785-235-0763 x1321.